BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Category Information with Article Excerpt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abacquer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Category Information with Article Excerpt Reply with quote

Suppose I set up a bunch of general categories (family, science, politics, cooking, philately, lower mondavian wig-washing, etc.) and then I file my articles into the appropriate categories. I note that when viewing my main blog page, all the articles "Bubble Up" just as I would like them to, but there is nothing on the article excerpts that says what categories the articles come from.

In a number of blogs out there on the web I've seen, this information is displayed in the line with the permanent link information as in:

Cooking | Comments (1) | Trackbacks (1) | Permanent Link

Or sometimes in the byline as in:

by Abacquer in "Cooking" on April 16, 2004 10:28PM (EDT)

Question Is there are blogharbor setting that would cause either of these to happen? I've been looking for the past hour or so and haven't found anything. If not, is there a way I can edit my templates to make this happen?

Thanks in advance! The countless hordes who wish to studiously avoid anything I write with respect to lower mondavian wig-washing are also grateful.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Category Information with Article Excerpt Reply with quote

The short answer is this - No, it is not possible to make the Category title appear in the article. There are no settings, and it is not possible for you to modify any of the templates to make the Category title appear on a post...

The ability to have these category links on articles on the Main Page is being examined and we expect it will be available in a future revision of the system.

Most other blogging systems do not have 1) a security model which allows for restricted categories 2) a Main Page or category page generated dynamically based on a user's permission level (you do not see articles which you are not authorized for, and you do not even see links to categories for which you do not have permission) and 3) the ability to post articles to multiple categories, each of which may have different security levels. These factors combine to make it just a little trickier to properly integrate categories into the article list on the Main Page, but our developers are sure to perfect this and it will eventually be supported.
abacquer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Category Information with Article Excerpt Reply with quote

john wrote:
The short answer is this - No [...] but our developers are sure to perfect this and it will eventually be supported.

Cool. As a developer myself I'm aware of how complicated data retrieval and assembly can be when it spans secure and public information.

Thanks for the weekend reply. Very Happy
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: