BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
"Printer Friendly"
Goto page Previous  1, 2 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: supposed to see a print button? Reply with quote

No, you won't be seeing any print buttons on your articles, nothing will change at all in the way your articles look. The only thing that will change is they way they look when you print them.

If you've followed the directions, everything should be OK...

I happen to know your site's URL and looked at the CSS file you uploaded... It looks like you created printer_friendly.css as an RTF file, you'll need to do it as a plain text file so that the contents of the file when opened up in a text editor show only the code described above... Look at your printer_friendly.css file in Notepad and you will see what I mean.
cd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: the one difference was i used Wordpad Reply with quote

John - i appreciate your patience as always....

i am looking at the file now in explorer and is says the extension is css.

file manager also thinks it is a css and it opened in frontpage when i downloaded it from file mgr.

will delete the current file in file mgr, go back and use notepad, and repeat.

did it and still have the same thing happening. ???
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: the one difference was i used Wordpad Reply with quote

Mistake in my previous instructions, I missed one slash (went back and corrected it). Use this:
Code:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" href="/printer_friendly.css" />

and you should be all set to go!
cd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: sweet! Reply with quote

sweet!

thx!
Kim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Printer friendly Reply with quote

This worked very nice. But a printer icon is even better.
cd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: gotta agree with Kim Reply with quote

Kim has a good point.
qureus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: close but didn't quite work for me Reply with quote

Hi John,

Glad I found this thread. I followed your instructions and it almost works for me. I do get a print friendly version but my content is being truncated by the margins.

Can you give me a heads up on what I'm doing incorrectly?

Thanks!
Q
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: close but didn't quite work for me Reply with quote

I don't think you're doing anything incorrectly, I just looked at your page and tested it... All 14 pages from your home page print out fine on 8.5" x 11" paper on my printer. Wink You may need to make a change in your printer setup if you are having problems.
qureus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: hmmm...individual article not right Reply with quote

I'm wondering if the difference between us is your printing the home page versus me printing an individual article. For example, I tried printing this one...
http://intuiosity.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2005/2/10/314413.html
and it truncated on the right margin.

I thought maybe it was my margin settings so I went into IE's Page Set Up and modified all margins to .5 inches. No luck. Then I tried 0 inches to see what would happen and I'm still getting truncated.

I'm wondering if there's a way within the printer friendly HTML code to set the margins.

Or do you have other suggestions?

Thanks,
Q
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm...individual article not right Reply with quote

I don't think this has anything to do with your printer friendly HTML changes. I think the images on that page are just too wide to print out without spilling over... Each image is 612 pixels wide, which is exactly 8.5 inches. So IE can't print it for you without spilling over, there's nothing your printer friendly CSS file can help you with there.

If IE can give you an option to print at 85% or something like that, you might be able to do that. I think Firefox can automatically scale large images down for you during printing.
qureus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: had the same problem with an article without an image Reply with quote

Hey John,

You have a good point about my images and I'll fix that going forward. I had the same out of margin problem though with an article that had no images though. Like this one...

http://intuiosity.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2005/2/11/318027.html

Do you think this is an IE thing? Is there a coding thingamabob I can do to better scale the article to the page so my user doesn't have to?

Q
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: had the same problem with an article without an image Reply with quote

Your header logo is 863 pixels wide, which is almost 12 inches, so that might be what is causing the problem with IE. I don't think there's any coding thingamabob that can help...

You could always try printing using the Firefox browser instead of IE.
qureus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an fyi...You were right. My blog's header length was the problem. I changed my header so that it's only about 8.5 inches long and now I'm printing away with ease on IE.

Thanks!
Q
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: