BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Corrections in an article means new feed to readers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Corrections in an article means new feed to readers Reply with quote

I've often wondered why I seem to receive an article several times fron the same feed. By testing my own blog I found the answer: Any minor correction leads to a new feed as if the article was newly published.
Any ways around that? I'd really like to be able to correct a mistake whitout bothering my readers ...
Kim
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrections in an article means new feed to readers Reply with quote

Kim - When you refer to your feed, are you speaking of your RSS feed or of email notifications?

The RSS feed should and does automatically update itself when an article is modified. It will only update the published date in the RSS feed (for example, the <pubDate> element of an RSS 2.0 feed) if you check the Reset the publish time checkbox when you re-publish the article.

Email notifications should not be sent when an article is updated... Are you editing the article or deleting it and creating a new one? I just tested this; when I am subscribed to receive new article notifications, I only receive a notification for the initial article, and not every time the article is edited...
Kim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: RSS feed Reply with quote

I'm speaking of RSS feed (I use News Gator in Outlook). And I don't reset the publish time when I change the content. I still get the modified article again after changes. What can be done?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: RSS feed Reply with quote

Kim - I don't think anything can be done, that's the way it's supposed to work. When you update an article, the revised article will appear on the website and in your RSS feed. There is no way for us to both update the article and leave an old version of it in the RSS feed...

How Newsgator interprets the updated article as new, I really don't know. But I would assume if it interprets a changed article as new in your case, it does so for all other RSS feeds as well. So this seems more like an issue related to Newsgator...
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: