BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Blogharbor Having Problems Serving Graphics?
Goto page 1, 2  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abacquer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Blogharbor Having Problems Serving Graphics? Reply with quote

The other day, while celebrating a gorgeous new set of chrome tuning rims on my car, I posted a link to the relevant photoalbum to a PT Cruiser discussion forum.

Shortly thereafter I got some complaints saying that the images were all showing up as "boxes with little red X's in them". Sad They seemed to be working for me.

Earlier today I was talking to someone about an article on my blog and asked them what they thought of the image I had included in it. He said "I couldn't see it... all I saw was a box with a red X in it." Confused

Finally yesterday afternoon, and also this morning, I went to one of my favorite Blogharbor blogs, Purplecar, and noted that most of the graphics were not loading. They were all showing up as boxes with red X's!! Mad

Is something going on?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Blogharbor Having Problems Serving Graphics? Reply with quote

There were some sporadic issues with images being briefly (and improperly) restricted. That problem has been fixed. Sorry for any inconvenience.

The issue with PurpleCar's images is actually something different. I just posted an article on the topic here:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/6/18/91287.html
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Blogharbor Having Problems Serving Graphics? Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to mention. The rims look great. Very funny that you are the one with the purple car...
esprit2004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: What are you saying here, John? Reply with quote

Quote:
The issue with PurpleCar's images is actually something different. I just posted an article on the topic here:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/6/18/91287.html

I just read the info in the above link. Did I understand correctly that as of July 1st you made a change and no one can see my blog photos anymore because you suddenly took the New Photos file I'd been using for ALL my photos and you'd turned it into a secure file?

Can this be correct? And if so, why did you not email me to tell me this? And, if this is so, why are you messing with my blog like this?

If I have to go back and change the directory for all these photos, and then go back and redo the link for each photo for the last 6 months, it's going to take forever.

What in the world is going on?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What are you saying here, John? Reply with quote

We tried to analyze users who were using this directory so we could contact them personally, but we must have missed your account. We're sorry about that.

It is not true that no one can see your photos, since they have been visible to you and your users every day.

As noted in the link we provided, the _NewPhotos directory is not intended for permanent storage of your photos, though we have not implemented the security restriction described in the article; A slightly modified version of that restriction was implemented which had less impact on users who are serving images from that directory.

We suggest that from now on, you do not use this _NewPhotos directory for the purposes of serving your images. Create a new directory and use this new directory instead.

If we do implement any additional changes, we will certainly do our best to minimize the impact to you or your blog. We know we've helped you out many times in the past and we will continue to do so in the future.
esprit2004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't worry. I sure won't add any new photos to that directory. Too bad I've already got almost 150 in that directory.

If you're going to lay a booby trap like that, why don't you warn people when they first get their blogs up and running?

Do you know of a simple way to move a photo to another directory? Or do I have to download it to my computer and then re-upload it to a new directory?

Have you got any other booby traps set that we should know about?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A booby trap would be something intentionally created to cause harm to others. We of course are not trying to intentionally harm or cause inconvenience to our users or their websites.

As we noted in the article you referred to, we found a security issue which we are continuing to examine in order to protect the security of our users. We are trying to prevent harm, not to cause it.

There is no way to rename this directory or the photos inside it, but there is no need to at this time either. We are currently reviewing the security issues with respect to the use of this directory and will assist you in modifying these files if it becomes a necessity.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that a booby trap must be intentionally set to cause harm. I think it can be inadvertent as well as intentional. I certainly never implied that you were trying to harm us intentionally.
esprit2004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guest post just above is me. Didn't realize I was logged out.

Let me apologize, John, for my ill-mannered behavior. Totally panicked.

You people at Blog Harbor have excellent customer service, which is why I selected your company in the first place.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, esprit2004, and thanks for the kind words. We understand how important your blog is to you!
abacquer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Here we go again... Reply with quote

I just uploaded some graphics to one of my directories, and none of the graphics will load in my web browser now. I get error 403 Forbidden on all of them. Strangely graphics which I uploaded to that directory a week ago are working fine.

HELP!!!! Here's the URL for one of the graphics.

http://unbecominglevity.blogharbor.com/ntm/NTM03B.jpg
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Here we go again... Reply with quote

Chuck - We are looking into this for you now...
esprit2004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Same problem as Chuck Reply with quote

Exact same thing is happening to me this morning. Anything graphic I uploaded previously is working fine. Anything I uploaded this morning does not show and it says it is forbidden for me to access.
abacquer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

Well the graphics I uploaded last nite seem to be okay now, so thanks for fixing that. Question Will I have this problem the next time I upload pix? Or was the cause found?

Thanks John, for your help! Smile
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmm Reply with quote

One of our developers manually fixed your file, prior to finding the cause of the problem. Now the cause has been found, but it will be some hours before the fix is implemented to remedy this issue. Your uploads will all be affected until we can fix this problem. Very sorry about this inconvenience!
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: