BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Non-English characters in category tree component

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pembeci

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Non-English characters in category tree component Reply with quote

I am trying to localize my blog for a language other than English.
When I changed displayed text in the templates with some special characters that are not part of the English alphabet, it works fine.
But when I used them in category names they are displayed like: ış in the category tree (at the top of the page,
the "Main >> ..." text, they are OK).

Is this how the blog software works and a supposed behavior or is there a solution to it?

I should also mention that I am not typing these characaters but copying them from other web pages since in my current machine the specific keyboard functionality is not loaded. When I copy them they look OK in the input box but when I save them, they look like above .

Thanks.
pembeci

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But when I used them in category names they are displayed like: ış in the category

Embarassed they also display right in this post (of course). What I actually wrote/meant was & # 305;& # 351;

I also noticed that category names are used at category web addresses
so probably that's why non ascii characters are not allowed. Then I guess I shouldn't be able to use special characters in category names.

Sorry for taking your time.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some areas such as category names which our system can not handle perfectly with international character sets. Contact us with the name of your blog so we can take a look and see if there is any way we can make your blog work better using international character sets.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john wrote:
Contact us with the name of your blog so we can take a look and see if there is any way we can make your blog work better using international character sets.

so, in the end, was there a solution?

...I have the same sort of problem in my blog, and I would love it to know whether some sort of workaround is possible or not Smile
pembeci

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am using some javascript which is basically a find and replace to achieve this after the page is loaded. That way they are formally normal ascii charaters for the BlogHarbor system (for instance in the html address of the subcategories they won't cause any problems) but when displayed they are displayed as how I want.

Not very efficient but it works and not noticed by the viewer. If you are willing to try a similar solution I can post the details. I think the javascript is general enough to be applied to other international characters as well. You don't need to know how javascript works but you have to make some modifications to your templates.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, we would probably have suggested first adding

Code:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

to the HTML HEAD of your weblog pages. To do this, click on the Settings & Security tab of your web control panel, you'll be in the Publishing Defaults section; now click on General. You will see a section of the page labeled Add additional <HEAD> content. Enter the code above into the form box provided and click Save Settings .

Now you can be sure your blog will display "Unicode" as its default display set. We can set your blog Admin Control Panel to display in UTF-8 if you would like, let us know and we will set that for you. If you do the former and we do the latter, that should help you out when composing and displaying articles.

It won't mean you can search in international characters or use them ad category names, though.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: