BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How much permanent are PermaLinks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pembeci

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: How much permanent are PermaLinks? Reply with quote

In my blog, there will be some posts which refers to other posts (like a FAQ post where some of the questions are answered in seperate posts). Since my blog may evolve in time, I thought this may cause broken links. I made some tests and found the following: updating the content, the date, or post category and moving the category does not effect the Permalink (which is good). Deleting the post itself from any category removes the post from the archives and from all categories it was posted. Deleting the category removes the post if it was posted to only this category or bubbled up. If it is posted to multiple categories manually (without using bubble up) it continues to live in other categories and Permalink stays same (which is a nice property in my opinion). Are they any other test cases you can think of and can happen?

During my tests, I noticed that bubbled up articles are not displayed in the parent categories article list in the control panel. I think this is fair and this operational difference makes me think that bubbling up a post and posting it to multiple categories by selecting yourself is semantically different. In the former, there is some virtual link in the bubbled up categories to the post which only results in displaying the post to the readers but in the latter they are treated as seperate posts by the blog software but somehow share the same Permalink. This can also explain the different end results of removing a category mentioned above.
pembeci

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that bubbling up a post and posting it to multiple categories by selecting yourself is semantically different.

This is also useful for displaying the categories of a post. When a post is bubbled up, I will prefer that only the original category is displayed not all the categories all the way up.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've got this all figured out... Permanent Links are the permanent URL for a post, they will not change regardless of the category to which the article is posted.

When you post an article to a subcategory (that is, any category except the main page) it also has a category URL. So the article http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/1/14/13740.html which is a post to the Features category has this URL as well as this URL http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/Features/_archives/2004/1/14/13740.html . If we move it from the Features category, it will lose the category URL, but the permanent link will not change. Which it shouldn't, otherwise we would have no business calling it a permanent link.

pembeci wrote:
Quote:
that bubbling up a post and posting it to multiple categories by selecting yourself is semantically different.

This is also useful for displaying the categories of a post. When a post is bubbled up, I will prefer that only the original category is displayed not all the categories all the way up.

Bubbling up allows you to categorize your posts but not require your readers to 'drill down' to find them. It allows you to have articles also appear on a parent category when posted to a subcategory, which means you don't have to post an article to the Main Page and a subcategory in order to make it appear on your Main Page.
pembeci

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice that there was also a category URL. That explains how you deal with all these Permalink issues in a consistent and easy way. Thanks for the explanation.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: