BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bubbling up behavior

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Bubbling up behavior Reply with quote

I have my posts set to bubble up by default so that, say, posts in the gaming category also show on the main page. I don't want posts in the adult category to show up on the main page though, but I don't want to create a restricted group per se.

It seems logical to me that if I set a category to suppress bubbling then all the sub-categories below it should not bubble up to the main page, yet they do. Example: I have the category Cooking, with the sub-categories Thai and Korean. I want these subs to appear on the Cooking category page, but NOT on the main page. I set Cooking to suppress bubbling and the sub categories SHOULD appear on the Cooking page but nowhere above it. My experience however, is non-intuitive: the sub-categories still appear on the main page, unless I make the main page suppress bubbling which means that everything not specifically posted to the main page is then suppressed.

I need help with this.

Sorry about the nonsensical rambling of this query, it's late and I am very tired. Thanks.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bubbling up behavior Reply with quote

Great question. You are correct, even though you may configure the Cooking category to suppress bubbling, the articles do bubble up 'past' that category and up into its parent, the Main Page.

We're going to dig deeper into this feature and see if there's any way it can be improved upon.
Wood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Thanks again, John Reply with quote

Yeah, that was kind of making me crazy. It's a great feature, but doesn't work the way I thought it would. Basically I want to be able to put adult oriented stuff on my blog but keep it off the main page without having to supress other categories as well. For my two cents, I'd like to see it work as more of a "go this high and no higher" sort of filter.

It's an insanely great idea, I just wish it worked a little differently Smile
70sFlashback

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Bubbling Up? Reply with quote

Am I correct in understanding that "bubbling up" is a way to publish articles to a specific category ( I like to think of them as channels because of the dynamic RSS generation) so that you don't have to assign it to multiple categories yet have it visible at the top "overall"?

I am also correct in understanding that the "suppress" is the opposite of this and that the issue here is that suppression works withing a category but not overall while does work overall?

Thanks!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bubbling Up? Reply with quote

70sFlashback wrote:
Am I correct in understanding that "bubbling up" is a way to publish articles to a specific category ( I like to think of them as channels because of the dynamic RSS generation) so that you don't have to assign it to multiple categories yet have it visible at the top "overall"?

Yes, that is exactly it. You can post an article to a category page or even a subcategory page, and have it also appear on a parent category.

So maybe you create a blog with Recipes as a category, and Japanese and Thai as sub-categories of Recipes. You can post a recipe for a nice green curry to the Thai category, and a recipe for miso soup to the Japanese category. If you check the Bubble up to higher categories box when posting, these articles will also appear on the parent Recipes, and continue to bubble up to the Main Page as well. Unless...

70sFlashback wrote:
AI am also correct in understanding that the "suppress" is the opposite of this and that the issue here is that suppression works withing a category but not overall while does work overall?

If you check the Suppress bubbled articles box on the Main Page Category Settings, then bubbled articles will not appear on the Main Page category. Only items you post to the Main Page category explicitly will appear there.
70sFlashback

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go it. Thanks!
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: