BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Editing the search template

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Editing the search template Reply with quote

I am very interested in being able to edit the search template. Do you know how long til' this feature is available?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Editing the search template Reply with quote

We don't have any information for you regarding editing the search template at this time.
cr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: featuring related articles using the search feature. Reply with quote

I think it would be awesome to be able to embed in the article template at the bottom of each post a "related articles" feature that pulled up a list of related articles.

The only way that I have thought of customizing this myself was to be able to put in search results using a search term based on the category. And having those search results come up underneath the article. That would be great. For example if the blog was about sports, then the category could be:

Sports > Baseball > NY Mets

And you could embed in the bottom of the article template to pull up search results using the keyword of the current category "NY Mets".

This way it would provide the user with a list of every article that had the term "NY Mets" in it. Is this possible in any way? I mean, I know there is no way to edit the search template...yet, but if you knew the code to be able to include the results in the article template that would be great!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: featuring related articles using the search feature. Reply with quote

We implemented a Keywords feature recently which pretty much does exactly what you describe in this post. See this URL for more information:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/8/15/124586.html

The only thing you need to be aware of is that our Keywords do no currently support phrases, so while you can add the keywords of baseball or Mets, you can not add a keyword phrase like NY Mets or The Mets should not sign Sammy Sosa.

Last edited by john on Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
cr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: keywords feature Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am aware of the keywords feature, but the issue is that it doesn't support keyword phrases and so I have found that it doesn't provide the results I am looking for. Good feature though.

Is there any way for me to get the code to embed into the template? Is there a way that I can see the code on the search template page? I could even create a custom template if I knew the code. Any help here?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: keywords feature Reply with quote

cr wrote:
Is there any way for me to get the code to embed into the template? Is there a way that I can see the code on the search template page? I could even create a custom template if I knew the code. Any help here?

When you say the code you are referring to the search results template? As I stated earlier, the search results template is not available for customization.

Maybe you just need a link from an article into related articles via the search engine? You can always construct your own link into searches like this:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog?cmd=search&keywords=NY+Mets

Replace the blog address with your own, of course.
cr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: new title for search results pages Reply with quote

John, thanks for the reply. I have been using the keyword link that you gave in the last reply. It has been working great. I was wondering if you could help out with the following.

On the search results page I would like the meta title to say
{{blog.name}} - Search results for "xyz term":

So that xyz matches the term that was searched for. Do you know what I would need to put in the base template in the title tag to make that possible? I know how to create a custom title that would be general for all search result pages, but not individual for each one. Any Help? Thanks.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: new title for search results pages Reply with quote

The elements of the search results are not abstracted into variables for use in any of the templates, so you can not currently pass in the search query as part of the title. Save yourself the effort, it really is not possible to edit the search template nor to use search results in other templates. When we have this capability, we will let you know.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: