BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Importing from Blogger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Importing from Blogger Reply with quote

John,

When importing from blogger, you suggest to format the following way:

Code:
<Blogger>
AUTHOR: <$BlogItemAuthor$>
DATE: <$BlogItemDateTime$>
TITLE: <PostSubject><$BlogItemSubject$></PostSubject>
PRIMARY CATEGORY:
ALLOW COMMENTS: 1
ALLOW PINGS: 1
CONVERT BREAKS: 0
-----
BODY:
<$BlogItemBody$>
-----

--------

</blogger>

I would like to know how to be able to add exerpts to this. What would I need to add to this to add excerpts? Also, I tried to set it up to form categories the suggested way, and it wasnt working. Could you elaborate a little more on that. Perhaps an example in the code? Thanks.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Blogger Reply with quote

Blogger does not actually support categories, so you will need to manually input categories into your import file, like this:

Code:
PRIMARY CATEGORY: Baseball

Blogger does support excerpts either, but you can also manually input one, using this type of format:

Code:
<Blogger>
AUTHOR: <$BlogItemAuthor$>
DATE: <$BlogItemDateTime$>
TITLE: <PostSubject><$BlogItemSubject$></PostSubject>
PRIMARY CATEGORY:
-----
BODY:
<$BlogItemBody$>
-----
EXCERPT:
Put your excerpt here...
-----

--------

</blogger>
cr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Import Cancelled Reply with quote

John, Thanks for the reply.

I have tried several times and have had some different results. At first, I was able to import successfully, with a few articles to preview, and it worked great, except that the excerpt didn't come through and either did the category title. I made sure I was doing it exactly as you showed me and everything. Then I made some tweaks to the file and saved it under a different name and tried to import it, and it wouldn't work at all. Here is what it said:

Quote:
We were unable to parse the uploaded document. Import cancelled.

So I couldn't figure out what was wrong, and so I tried to import the original text file and it walked me through the preview mode for the first article, but when I pressed import or import all, it just opened up a tiny window with blogharbor in it in the dashboard view. It now won't let me get past this point and I have been trying for a few hours. So I am hoping you have seen this problem before and might know of a way I can get around it. Thanks a bunch.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Import Cancelled Reply with quote

I just tested a file containing this content:

Code:
<Blogger>
AUTHOR: Geddy Lee
DATE: 04/23/2003
TITLE: Geddy says...
PRIMARY CATEGORY: Baseball
-----
BODY:
Geddy loves baseball much.
-----
EXCERPT:
Geddy says...
-----

--------
AUTHOR: Alex Lifeson
DATE: 04/24/2003
TITLE: Alex says...
PRIMARY CATEGORY: Boxing
-----
BODY:
I dig boxing, I really do.
-----
EXCERPT:
I dig...
-----

--------
</blogger>

and it imported the posts fine. You're right, it did not assign categories, and we'll be looking into why categories were not processed. Try the file above and let us know if you see any problems.
cr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: first attempt with new code Reply with quote

John, results from my first attempt at using the code you gave me did not work out well. I got the same error message:

Quote:
We were unable to parse the uploaded document. Import cancelled.

So I will keep working with it and see what I can do. Thanks for all the help. This is going to make a couple very big switches very easy.

Very Happy
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: