BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Creating and Managing Generic Lists

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anindaroy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Creating and Managing Generic Lists Reply with quote

Favorites is an example of a built-in list manager. Is there a way to create general purpose lists? For example, if I want to create a category called Team Action Items and populate it with a simple list that everyone can see, what's the easiest way to do that? I don't need anything super sophisticated, just an alternative to having to post a document such as a spreadsheet, and being able to share a list (add, edit, delete).
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Creating and Managing Generic Lists Reply with quote

I guess the obvious answer would be to post an article with the list as bullet points, either as an unordered or an ordered list:
  • item
  • item
  • item
  • item
  • item

1. item
  2. item
  3. item
  4. item
  5. item

There really wouldn't be any way for your readers or users to edit the article themselves, though...

One thing you could do which might be cool is to create your Team Action Items category and create a subcategory below it called Done. Post each to do as a single article in your Team Action Items category. When an item is completed, you could move it to the subcategory. Now you're using the category itself as the todo tracker, and your Done category can show you at a glance what items have been completed.

Let me know if I am understanding you correctly, maybe there's another option.
anindaroy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Creating and Managing Generic Lists Reply with quote

That's certainly a workable solution for this particular example. Idea I like the idea of using subcategories to group workflow items by status.

What I am looking for really is very crude, cheap database functionality integrated into the blog. Maybe there will be a component in the future that can do this. Like formmail, the uses are numerous.
For example, a list of customers or a list of projects. The need is to be able to add some structure to blog contents. Blogs are geared toward articles which are basically unstructured and free-form, but now and then you want to post a structured list or table with rows and columns. And have the ability to update rows or columns easily to keep the list up to date. Finally, being able to define views to sort and filter the list gives you immense flexibility and usability. None of this should be hard, it's intrinsic to XML.

e.g. Microsoft's Sharepoint has Lists as a basic type of component.
I think by adding list management, blog technology would be even more useful than it already is as a groupware tool. I'm sure someone out there's doing it. This maybe is a feature request for MovableType (now that they're growing through investment and acquisition). Or maybe one of the blog clients needs to figure this out. Wink
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: