BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Favicon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oedipus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Favicon Reply with quote

Can you add a favicon to your blogharbor site?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Favicon Reply with quote

Sure, just upload your favicon to your blog, then go to the Settings tabg on your control panel, you'll see a link to Add additional <HEAD> content on the left side in the Blog Attributes area. Click on that link and add this html for a favicon to the box that appears:

Code:
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="/images/favicon.gif">

(Make sure to replace the path to the image to the path and filename you uploaded.) Click on Save Settings - now your blog has a favicon.

You can also use this concept to add Javascript to your blog template.
Maldenite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Favicon Reply with quote

I used the photoshop plug-in for favicon creation and used the extension name .ico at the end of my image. Does Blog Harbor read the file .ico in the HEAD content? As of now, I don't see my Favicon file reading in the URL. I decided to follow the suggestion and created a new folder "images" and uploaded a .gif file to the directory. I still don't see the favicon. This is this the information I added to the Additonal <HEAD> Content: <link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="/images/favicon.gif">
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Favicon Reply with quote

If you use the extension GIF, make sure you create a GIF file and not an ICO, those are 2 different file formats.

I am looking at what I think to be the blog you are referring to, but I can not see that you did upload a file to /images/favicon.gif ... If you could let us know which blog you are referring to, and post the URL of the gif file you uploaded, we'll take a look at your blog and see what's up.
abacquer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: GIF doesn't work? Reply with quote

For the record, I tried this. It wouldn't work with a gif file. It only began working when I uploaded a bonafide icon file (.ico).
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GIF doesn't work? Reply with quote

Our BlogHarbor favicons are gifs, and I see them when using Mozilla. Can you see our favicons? If not, what browser are you using? I'm wondering if some browsers have a problem with gifs...

Here's something I wonder if it might be the culprit...

On the Mozilla web site, for example, they use PNG image as a Favicon:

Code:
 <link rel="icon" href="images/mozilla-16.png" type="image/png">

I wonder if the problem was that the image type was not included in my original instructions... Perhaps this:

Code:
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="/images/favicon.gif" type="image/gif">

would be more compatible...
abacquer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GIF doesn't work? Reply with quote

john wrote:
Our BlogHarbor favicons are gifs, and I see them when using Mozilla. Can you see our favicons? If not, what browser are you using? I'm wondering if some browsers have a problem with gifs...

I just tested this to be sure, but no I cannot see any BlogHarbor favicons. I'm using IE 6.0.29 SP2 for XP. It would appear that IE wants 'SHORTCUT ICONS' to be icons. This:

Code:
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="/images/bhFavicon.gif">

Doesn't work for IE. This is why it comes as a surprise to me that BlogHarbor even had favicons... I never knew!

IrfanView can save a gif as an icon and it will even let you set a transparent color if you want. Easy fix.

EDIT: BTW setting the image type might make a difference. It may be that IE *assumes* icon if you don't specify. I didn't try that though.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: GIF doesn't work? Reply with quote

The more I look into this the more I am convinced that there really is no standard for this...

I look at Google, AOL, and Yahoo.com home pages and none of them specify any favicon in their HTML...

Yes, all of them have one at the root location on their web path:

http://www.google.com/favicon.ico
http://www.aol.com/favicon.ico
http://www.yahoo.com/favicon.ico

I see an icon in the browser address bar for Firefox and Safari, but none on 2 different PCs running the same version of IE you refer to ...

I did find a site called "favicons.com" and they noted this: In Internet Explorer, the implementation of favicons is a little more vague. We are not sure of why they appear sometimes and sometimes they don't.

And either am I... I just tried switching our main site's icons to ICO files, and it doesn't seem to make a difference on the IEs I have here, though I bet you're going to say you see them on your version of IE.

I am pretty much ready to give up on trying to figure out why IE does any of the things it does... Crying or Very sad
abacquer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Works now! Reply with quote

Switching it over to icons worked fine. I now see your favicons on my box here. Remember that IE is stubborn and pernicious when it comes to cached items. You might want to whack the cache on the IE's you've got there and see if they snap out of it. If they can't display gifs as favicons, and yet they have downloaded the gifs to cache, maybe they won't display your new icons until you clear them out of there.

EDIT: I should add that I didn't see the favicon until I bookmarked the site. Prior to bookmarking there was no icon in the address bar, afterward, there was.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: