BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ecto problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Skinner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Ecto problem Reply with quote

I thought I would give Ecto a quick try today. However when "refreshing all posts.." I receive the error
Quote:
"There is an invalidly encoded character in one of the post. Please check the character encoding setting in your weblog system"
OK, I have stumbled across a pound stirling £ symbol which was fine in the rich-text editor but was displayed in the article as a ? inside a diamond. Ecto now downloads the posts having removed the offending £.

However.... how can I enable the display of my favourite monetary unit?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ecto problem Reply with quote

I tried to duplicate this with ecto (you're using Mac ecto, right?) but was unable to do so despite repeated attempts.

Perhaps you should check the ecto forum:

http://bb.infinite-sushi.com/index.php?c=5

to see if anyone has any insight into the issue there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ecto problem Reply with quote

Having found and deleted the £ sign in the offending post, the problem went away. I can in fact use the £ sign with no problem in a new article (yes, I should have tested this before posting here), so maybe it was as a result of some anomaly with copying and pasting from another site.

Thanks for the link though; I will take a look anyway. Thanks again. Paul
Paul Skinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ecto problem Reply with quote

Anonymous=Paul sorry wrote:
I can in fact use the £ sign with no problem in a new article

Actually, whilst this is true in the body of the article. The £ sign doesn't display correctly in the Article Title. See http://blog.paulskinner.net/blog/_archives/2005/3/22/461829.html

I should say that this is no longer an ecto question. I entered this using your web post form.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ecto problem Reply with quote

This type of thing usually occurs when there is a mismatch between the character encoding set on your browser and that used by default on our system. This is a super complex issue, and I'll have to gloss over any explanations except to say that we make some assumptions about your language and whether or not you will be posting in English or another language and set some defaults that should work in most cases... Sometimes they don't though...

Try this: Follow the instructions on this article:

for accessing the Additional HEAD content of your blog. You should see this:
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

Delete it, and Save. That should allow your blog to display the pound sign properly. If not, then add this code instead:
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

One or the other should allow the symbol to come through correctly. Let us know which one helps you solve the problem.
Paul Skinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ecto problem Reply with quote

john wrote:
Let us know which one helps you solve the problem.

Deleting the UTF-8 line didn't work. Inserting the iso-8859-1 has worked.

I was reading this useful article when you sent your reply. As it appears to work I shall give up while ahead (for now... no promises). Thanks!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ecto problem Reply with quote

Paul Skinner wrote:
Deleting the UTF-8 line didn't work. Inserting the iso-8859-1 has worked.

I was reading this useful article when you sent your reply. As it appears to work I shall give up while ahead (for now... no promises). Thanks!

That article notes the following:

Quote:
If you are using UTF-8 as the default encoding for your blog, then ecto does not have to escape characters as HTML entities. In that case, open Weblog -> Edit Settings..., select the ”Preprocessing“ tab and un-check the ”Convert HTML entities“ option.

You are not using UTF-8 as the default encoding for your blog, so you should probably convert HTML entities when posting with ecto.
Paul Skinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ecto problem Reply with quote

john wrote:
You are not using UTF-8 as the default encoding for your blog, so you should probably convert HTML entities when posting with ecto.

Thanks John - sounds sensible
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: