BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Spam Attacked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
70sFlashback

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Spam Attacked Reply with quote

Hey John,

I turned anonymous comments off and got spammed pretty bad (worse than when I had anonymous on) on 4/8 and 4/9. Just noticed moments ago. For some reason I didn't get email notice...do'h just remembered, they were trackbacks. Sorry.

Anyway, is is possible to have a feature added that allows you to check and delete comment spam from the main trackback list? When you get a lot of trackback spam you have it takes long because when you delete the trackbacks you have to go all the way back out to the Dashboard/stas then start over again.

Also is it possible to add a feature to edit comments made by others instead of deleting comments entirely?

Thanks John!

Thomas
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Spam Attacked Reply with quote

Here are some points:
  • It is possible to allow anonymous commenting on your blog, but we do not recommend it as there is a greater likelihood that you will be a victim of comment spamming.

• Whether or not you allow or disallow anonymous commenting has nothing to do with your susceptibility to trackback spam.

• We do remove trackback spam on a regular basis, so if you receive a batch of trackback spam you do not need to actually sit there and click through and delete them. If you don't see them disappear on their own within one business day, just contact us and we'll make sure they are taken care of.

• The trackbacks you refer to should already have been deleted, in fact.

• We are working on various techniques to control this problem.

• We will be improving the dashboard to make it easier to manage comments and trackbacks.
Also is it possible to add a feature to edit comments made by others instead of deleting comments entirely?

My own personal feeling with regards to this topic is that I do not want my comments modified by anyone else, but I want the ability to edit comments I have made. If I made a mistake, or need to modify something, it would be useful to be able to edit my comment.

But if I go to your blog and post a comment on it, I really don't want you to have the ability to edit my comment. It was my comment, not yours, and I don't want you to be able to change what I said. Deleting it is of course your right, but I would be much more hesitant to comment on other blogs if I knew it was possible to make it look like I said something I did not.

That's just my personal feeling... I am not saying whether we will or will not implement the ability for a publisher to edit reader's comments.
70sFlashback

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

Thanks for the comments. I did realize that the spam was trackback and not comment and the relationship/difference between to the two. It was late and I was a bit groggy. Smile

Your feedback on comment editing makes sense actually. I hadn't really considered the dark side of that feature.

Thanks again!

Thomas
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: