BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Google and Amazon jpg caches: A9 can cache jpg in attachment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazo56

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Google and Amazon jpg caches: A9 can cache jpg in attachment Reply with quote

Hello John,
These questions are related to the gmohr discussion (Beginner's Forum), but with additional issues.

I have ONE photo (of the thousand of rare and desirable ones on my blog) that is sourced/visited etc more than any other. Because it is (a) a superb Edwardian photo and (b) a photo of a family member - mother of children still living, and (c) published only on MY blog, I want to protect it from overuse or misuse. It's in an article with attachment at:

http://tasmanianphotographers.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2005/3/8/408275.html

but I have also posted it to three different photo albums.

Google has it in a cache three times in different sizes at:

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=emily+nevin&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

I have read the Google instructions on how to remove the URL of the photo from their cache, but I'm not sure where I put their META.
They say -

Example: If you want Google to exclude the dogs.jpg image that appears on your site at www.yoursite.com/images/dogs.jpg, create a page at www.yoursite.com/robots.txt and add the following text:

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
Disallow: /images/dogs.jpg

Do I go to EDIT area for the post in question, turn it from Rich Editor to html, and place it somewhere on the page inside the text box?

The second question pertains to the same issue but with AMAZON's A9 image search, which can actually find a jpg inside the attachment. For example, the same URL I gave for the image on my blog above, is cached by Amazon here.

What can I do?
Much appreciated,
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Google and Amazon jpg caches: A9 can cache jpg in attach Reply with quote

These questions are related to the gmohr discussion (Beginner's Forum), but with additional issues.

Then that would have been a great place to follow up... Wink

Just as we asked gmohr, if you could please refrain from posting long URLs and instead insert a link to that URL, it would help maintain the readability of the page. (I altered your original post accordingly.)

In any case, if you are referring to his question about how does one remove an image from Google's image search, where we referred him to Google's own instructions on the topic where they tell you how to Remove an image from Google's Image Searchby creating a robots.txt file.

In order to use your own robots.txt file, you would simply create a file on your local hard drive called robots.txt and upload it to the top level of your File Manager. That's really all there is to it.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Google and Amazon jpg caches: A9 can cache jpg in attach Reply with quote

The second question pertains to the same issue but with AMAZON's A9 image search, which can actually find a jpg inside the attachment.

Just FYI, an attachment really is just a file associated with an article, which means it gets deleted if the article is deleted and also carries the same permissions as its article.

There are no other differences between an image acttached to an article and an image uploaded to your file manager and linked to from your article; there's no reason why any search engine or human for that matter wouldn't be able to view your attachment, i.e. there's no inside of an attachment any more than there's an inside of an image linked to from your article. Search engines can follow the links to an attachment just as they can follow any link to an image.

For example, the same URL I gave for the image on my blog above, is cached by Amazon at... What can I do?

I assume that by asking What can I do? you are looking to remove the image from Amazon's index? From this page, it would appear that Google itself provides A9's image search feature...
kazo56

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Hello John,

Many thanks. I have just about got all of it under my belt (for a beginner). As it's close to my anniversary of one whole year as a Blogharbor blogger, I've posted this one for you:

http://tasmanianphotographers.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2006/4/4/1858550.html

Cheers,
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: