BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Google Analytics and Feedblitz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
des

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Google Analytics and Feedblitz Reply with quote

I ran a Google Analytics test of my blog. It came up with a couple of apparent errors.

The first was a URL access forbidden, for one of the blue chevron navigation images
http://www.thinkinghomebusiness.com/admin/images/blue_chevron_
Which is a bit odd, especially as there is no file extension listed.

But what I found interesting was that a whole bunch of 404 (Not found) items came up, all in the form of the site url with a category and then www.feedblitz.com, as for example
http://www.thinkinghomebusiness.com/Blogging/BusinessBlogging/_archives/www.feedblitz.com - this cat has over 2 pages of posts.

I have posted this second, Feedblitz question on Feedblitz support, but wondered if there is a simple explanation/fix here - or doesn't it matter?
Author, 7 Step Business Blog
http://www.7stepbusinessblog.com
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Google Analytics and Feedblitz Reply with quote

Short answer is, no it doesn't matter.

Sometimes Google or any search engine will be fed some information about URLs that someone claims exist, that don't in fact exist. If I put on my blog some links to www.thinkinghomebusiness.com/woopsThisIsAnIncorrectURL Google and the rest of the search engines will attempt to follow that link and see what's there.

Since it's an incorrect URL and there really is no content there, your blog will quite properly return a 404 error.

What you're seeing is just the residue of that. Somehow Google thinks URLs exist when they do not. Did Feedblitz accidentally publish some incorrect URLs somewhere? Possibly. Did a spammer republish on their splog (spam blog) the contents of your blog, and get the URLs wrong? Maybe. Is there some other explanation? Could be.

Regardless of how they were fed this incorrect data, their software did what it was supposed to do when it was told a URL exists and some address: it went out and checked the contents of that URL. And our server did what it was supposed to do: it said, hey I don't got nuthin' like that here...

And that's really all there is. Nothing for you to do about it. You could spend your precious time trying to figure out why Google would think this URL is valid, and try correcting it, but IMHO there's absolutely no reason to do any of that. It affects nothing, just forget about it and let the software figure it out so you can get on with the things that people do.
des

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It affects nothing, just forget about it and let the software figure it out so you can get on with the things that people do.

Thanks John. Suits me Very Happy
phollows

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Des:

From what I can see, there's nothing in your account configuration or the emails we're sending that would cause FeedBlitz to create links of the form you're describing. If you can identify the referring page(s) for these links to us we can look into this further, but otherwise it looks right now as if a script or mail to blog system has mangled the links which the Google bot is following. Sometimes an ISP will mangle links as they try to help or "protect" their users. let us know if you discover any more, but right now it doesn't appear to be a problem with Feedblitz per se. If you find out more we're happy to drill into this some more to help clean up your metrics.

Phil
des

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phollows wrote:
Hi Des:

From what I can see, there's nothing in your account configuration or the emails we're sending that would cause FeedBlitz to create links of the form you're describing. ... If you find out more we're happy to drill into this some more to help clean up your metrics.

Phil

Phil
Just picked up on this now. Thanks. I will see about putting some time into following up and letting you know.
Des
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: