BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Domain name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newblogger_1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Custom Domain name Reply with quote

I am attempting to use a custom domain for my blog. I have read the article 'Use a Custom Domain Name for your Blog Address' and have a couple of questions...

With my registrar, I am able to change nameservers but can't add a CNAME record to the DNS. I can forward and change nameservers but that's all.

Is it better to sign up for a free account with ZoneEdit or just change the nameservers to ns1.mdnsservice.com and ns2.mdnsservice.com to use BlogHarbours DNS service? I haven't purchased any email packages, just the standard annual plan for my blog.

Thanks in advance for your help!
newblogger_1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Domain name Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, newblogger!

First, there's really no need to post a followup like "Does anyone have any thoughts on this?" to your own original message, especially when less than 2 hours had elapsed since your original post. We will get to your queries in a prompt manner and if any of our users have their own opinion, they will surely chime in; there's no need to prod anyone into responding.

Now onto your question, should you use a service like ZoneEdit for your DNS or allow us to do your DNS for you?

If you only plan to host your blog at the domain address and not use any third party email services for the domain, the easiest path would be for us to do your DNS for you.

If you expect to be using email from another service, would like to host other hostnames based on your domain with another service (for example, hosting your blog here at the address of blog.example.com and hosting a traditional web hosting account with an address of www.example.com at another provider), or have other more complex needs, then it might be beneficial to use a service like ZoneEdit to manage your DNS needs.
newblogger_1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply John! Sorry for the two posts, just a little anxious I guess.

I think it does make sense to have you do the DNS. So, to do this, I change the nameservers at my registrar to ns1.mdnsservice.com and ns2.mdnsservice.com and then send you an email notifying you of the change?

Thanks again!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the two posts, just a little anxious I guess.

No problem at all.

So, to do this, I change the nameservers at my registrar to ns1.mdnsservice.com and ns2.mdnsservice.com and then send you an email notifying you of the change?

That's all there is to it. Make sure you let us know what the domain name is and what your blog URL is, and we'll take care of the rest. Oh, and be sure to add the third nameserver ns3.mdnsservice.com for more redundancy.
newblogger_1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks very much John!
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: