BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Page Cannot Be Displayed When Posting Trackbacks to MT Blogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abacquer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Page Cannot Be Displayed When Posting Trackbacks to MT Blogs Reply with quote

The title says it all. Why does this happen?

If I put any MT based trackback URI into the trackbacks field while posting an article, the system will hang forever and then I will get "Page Cannot Be Displayed". It looks like my article got posted anyway, but couldn't I just get an error message telling me that the trackback failed for some reason?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Page Cannot Be Displayed When Posting Trackbacks to MT B Reply with quote

When you say any MT based trackback URI is there a specific one you can point to and say, this is is the one I was trying to send a trackback to at XX:XX PM today and had a problem with?

Also by any MT based trackback URI do you mean that you tried on a variety of MT blogs? If so, please send URLs so we can look into this to see if the problem was with us or with those URLs.
abacquer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been able to post trackbacks to MT-based blogs from BlogHarbor. I can't recall the last time it worked. I don't have a trackback URI handy for you to test... hang on maybe I can dig one up...

http://www.atlanticblog.com/movabletype/mt-tb.cgi?__mode=view&entry_id=1921

That's the one I tried today.

I guess what I'm saying is, it doesn't seem to me that it should matter where the problem occurred, what's important is posting the article, and whether BlogHarbor had an issue with the trackback or the server being pinged had an issue, I don't want to see Page Could Not Be Displayed... especially not if the article was in fact posted. In java terms I would like whatever process governs the issuing of trackback pings to be inside a try-block. An exception during the issuance of a trackback shouldn't blow the whole process.

Now obviously I don't know how the process works, and I may be oversimplifying it--I think you guys use multiple servers in multiple steps to accomplish the posting of a single article for example, but I'm just frustrated that whenever I want to issue a trackback outside of the BlogWare universe, I start having troubles.

BTW, if anybody else has these problems I recommend this page for issuing manual trackback pings. It always seems to work: http://kalsey.com/tools/trackback/
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the example URL and the analysis.

I know I have successfully sent trackbacks to MT weblogs on many occasions so I don't think there should be an issue sending trackbacks to users on that platform, but your point about sending trackbacks not interfering with posting is well taken. It should not, and I am not sure why it would be in your case. I'll make sure the development team takes a look at why this might be occurring.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still seeing problems sending trackbacks to mt-based blogs?
abacquer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried recently but I'm planning to post something humorous tonite if I can, that will issue a trackback to my favorite MT based blog. I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.
abacquer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: It worked! Reply with quote

Nope, it worked great tonight! I was able to post my funny article with no problems and the trackback went right through.

I don't know what you guys did, but whatever it was, thanks!
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: