BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Categories on post footer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkingintolight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Categories on post footer Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance Embarassed , but I'd like to know if there is any way to include a list of whatever categories posts belong to into the footer of each post (next to "Leave comment | Permanent Link | Cosmos"). I've seen this in other blogs and would like to have it in mine.

Thanks beforehand. Keep up the good work! Very Happy

Sergio Pérez
Blog: Walking Into Light
Mail: sergioperezllanos@gmail.com
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Categories on post footer Reply with quote

If you look on your article's permanent link, you will see that your article does contain a link to the categories to which it is posted. Take a look at a recent article, you'll see the this for example:

Posted to: Other stuff

It is not possible to have this text inserted into the Category view of the article.
walkingintolight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good example of what I want. He's got the tags in their own separate line, though (while I want them in the same line as the footer, where his added some buttons as well)
walkingintolight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies: this reply was meant to be post BEFORE and not after the comment providing an example of what I want.

Thanks for your quick reply. My question was, however, if I could have that "Posted to:..." or "Tags:...) in the Main Page view of articles and, particularly, besides the "Leave comment | Permanent link".

Btw, has that "Posted to..." has always been there on the permanent link view of articles? Or has it to do with the fact that I enabled the blog to work with Technorati tags (following your instructions)?

Thanks again, John.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're confusing two things, Technorati tags and Categories. They are not the same thing...

Our Categories system helps you to organize your articles into groups that make your blog easier to navigate. Categories are a feature of the BlogHarbor service.

Technorati tags are an invention, by Technorati of course. Technorati tags are not a feature per se of the BlogHarbor system, they are method by which Technorati uses to categorize your posts. You can optionally, and manually, implement this tag system on your blog if you chose to.

Many folks don't realize that Technorati automatically assumes that your Category name is a tag, and indexes your post as if you had tagged your post with the name of its Category. So if you use categories to manaage your blog posts, Technorati is picking up your blog entries as "tagged".

You can of course add your own tags if you choose to. If you read the How to Implement Technorati Tags on your Blog, you saw a method to have your BlogHarbor keywords used as Technorati tags. Please read that article and statement carefully, we're talking about using keywords as Technorati tags; the article did not explain how to put your Category names into the text of an article as it appears on the Main Page.

Now with that background, I'll answer a few of your questions...

This is a good example of what I want. He's got the tags in their own separate line, though (while I want them in the same line as the footer, where his added some buttons as well)

Those are Technorati tags, and I believe he is entering them manually or using Blogjet as a blogging client, which enables him to easily add those tags.

My question was, however, if I could have that "Posted to:..." or "Tags:...) in the Main Page view of articles and, particularly, besides the "Leave comment | Permanent link".

"Posted to", no. As we said earlier, that was a list of categories and it can only appear on the article's permanent link.

Tags, yes. You have to enter them yourself either using a blogging client or by creating them manually in your article. Or you could use our How to Implement Technorati Tags on your Blog method to use keywords as tags.

Btw, has that "Posted to..." has always been there on the permanent link view of articles?

Yes, it has.
walkingintolight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing things up in such a neat way. Yes, I admit I believed that Categories could somehow behave as tags if I set them to, although I did knew they were not the same thing. I guess I'll have to settle with Keywords/Tags

It's a pity there's no way to show the Categories in the Main Page view of articles, though. It's a feature I'll welcome if it's ever offered.

Thanks again.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: