BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Server logs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gristgal

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Server logs Reply with quote

Yup, it's me again, John. Smile

I've gone to the Apache site, but now I need to know which version I should be looking at. They've got:

* Version 2.2
* Version 2.0
* Version 1.3
* Trunk (development version)

While I'm asking, I'd better ask whether their docs will decode "browser type", as that sometimes appears quite complex. If it doesn't provide that, could you pretty please give a decode on that, too? I'd like to know what some of the weirdness means. Without a decode, I'll hafta simply ignore that field. It would be a shame, since I'm intending to go through the big, hairy hassle of analysis.

I also don't want to forget to thank you for the sample log entry that you're showing every few days. Even though I had figured out most of it, (love the EOR; it's unambiguous) I didn't quite have it all, and I always prefer to have reference materials, anyway.

I always do look at manuals, though I don't always look carefully enough, in manuals as big and complex as the Blogware one. Razz I'll admit, it's a beaut. Of course, the problem with computer manuals is that sometimes ya gotta guess which term the author chose. Razz Rolling Eyes OTOH, things have improved entirely beyond recognition since early days.

I've saved a copy of the sample log. Next to figure out how to code the real data into individual record cells; "Blah-de-blah-blah-blah de-blah-blah-blah de-blah" is a bit long. Laughing Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay to have it done; gotta be my own data entry clerk. It's good I can use the article IDs for get reqs, and it shouldn't be hard to figure out what to do with the index reqs. But more than anything, I just wish I could think of a way to auto-feed the records into the spreadsheet (don't have a db program; no biggie, as modern spreadsheets include all the analysis tools I need - and more) without having to write something to do it (or twist someone else's arm to do it for me).

Thanks so much for all you do, and for your patience!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Server logs Reply with quote

I've gone to the Apache site, but now I need to know which version I should be looking at

Our servers run a version of Apache 1.3, though I don't think there is anything different about log files created under Apache 2+.

While I'm asking, I'd better ask whether their docs will decode "browser type", as that sometimes appears quite complex. If it doesn't provide that, could you pretty please give a decode on that, too?

There is really no universal guide to decoding the browser type, since any software may tell the server that it is anything... You can search Google for list of user agents or something like that, but no list will ever be complete. Someone will write a new peice of software tomorrow and visit your site...

Next to figure out how to code the real data into individual record cells; "Blah-de-blah-blah-blah de-blah-blah-blah de-blah" is a bit long.

My personal recommendation: Don't waste your time trying to do your own log analysis. The Apache server has been around for more than a decade and there are many pieces of software you can download which can perform log analysis for you. The better ones will cost some money, maybe in the $50 range, but most allow you to try before you buy. I am pretty sure that you will find that these tools will be able to do far better analysis than you could with a spreadsheet...

Try searching for log analyzer at VersionTracker, Download.com, or Tucows to find a log analysis tool that fits your needs and budget.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: