BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Base template upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Base template upgrade Reply with quote

ME AGAIN. Good grief.

Anyway, I tried to update my base template following the system upgrade and it wipes out all of the column/header/footer borders, places purple (ick!) borders around all images, and basically creates havoc on my site. I've since replaced the code with the original and now have an IE "done, but with errors on page" message after loading. What's up? Please, please don't tell me that I'm going to have to do EVERYTHING over again because I have already spent far too long getting this site to what I want it to look like Neutral .

Thanks again!
kerry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: You're not alone Reply with quote

Hi there - Just thought you might like to know your blogharbor blog is not the only one showing the yellow triangle with exclamation mark, and the message "Done, but with errors on page." Robin's at Now Smell This is showing the same. The format you describe is the same as when Babelfish is clicked on to translate a page - just underlined links - no formatting or images etc. It's an emergency! Call the surgeon!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Base template upgrade Reply with quote

jessay wrote:
Anyway, I tried to update my base template following the system upgrade

Not sure how you would have gotten purple borders... But I just took care of your base template for you so you should be all set. Commenting should work fine on your blog.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: You're not alone Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi there - Just thought you might like to know your blogharbor blog is not the only one showing the yellow triangle with exclamation mark, and the message "Done, but with errors on page." Robin's at Now Smell This is showing the same.

Well, I am not sure what you or IE are seeing, but both our demo and Robin's blog seem to display just fine for me...

Quote:
The format you describe is the same as when Babelfish is clicked on to translate a page - just underlined links - no formatting or images etc. It's an emergency! Call the surgeon!

The format I describe? I am confused... If you're seeing something unusual, can you first try quitting IE, then starting it again and clearing any caches. Once you've done that, if you still see what you're currently seeing, can you take a screenshot and send it to us at support at blogharbor dot com? Please note your OS and browser version with your mail.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: You're not alone Reply with quote

Some errors in your Custom CSS which might (I really don't know) make IE throw errors:

• Look for this line:

Code:
    .articleBody {
        font: 12px Verdana,Georgia,'Lucida Grande','Times New Roman',Times,serif;
        line-height: 150%;
        color: #666666
        clear: both;
    }

You're missing the finishing semicolon on the color attribute.

• Look for these lines:

Code:
    .postDate {
        font: Verdana;
        font-weight: bold;
        font-size: 16px;
        margin: 0 0 18px 0;
        background-color: transparent;
        color: #996633;
        white-space: nowrap;
    }

.photoPostDate {
        font: Verdana;
        font-size: 16px;
        margin: 6px 0 0 0;
        padding: 4px 0 2px 0;
        border-top: 1px dotted #999;
    }

Those are invalid declarations for the font class, font needs to be specified like this:

Code:
    font: normal 12px verdana,arial,geneva,sans-serif;

If you are just specifying the font face, you would use this:

Code:
    font-family: Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;

• Look for this:

Code:
    #leftcol .componentHead {
        margin: 0px;
        padding: 0px 4px 0px 4px;

text-decoration: none;
        font-size: 16px !important;
        text-align: left;
        text-transform: lowercase;
        border: none;

}

You're missing the } between those 2 classes....

Try finxing that up and see if it makes IE happier.

kerry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Base template blog custom head Reply with quote

Hello there,

Just to elaborate on my previous comments:

1. I've viewed Now Smell This on three different machines with differing speeds (56kbs to 100mb - gov't machines), and the status bar is still giving the message "Done but with errors on page".

2. I saw the same message, and the format described by flackfolio above when I used the instructions to update my base template in your News article on the weekend.

3. A comparison with the code there, and with my (now) default base template shows that {{blog.custom_head}} - (if this code is eaten by the forum software, what I'm referring to is blog.custom_head with double brackets) - is missing from your instructions. Without it, the page loads without images or color etc (that was my experience). Is that where the problem lies?
jessay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Base template fix Reply with quote

Everything looks fantastic! You're a gem!
Thanks again John, for all of your help.

Jessica
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Base template blog custom head Reply with quote

I've viewed Now Smell This on three different machines with differing speeds (56kbs to 100mb - gov't machines), and the status bar is still giving the message "Done but with errors on page".

Yes, and this message has absolutely nothing to do with any changes to our templates. Did you know that if you click that little icon on IE it will tell you what it thinks the errors are? Go ahead and click it, you will see what IE has a problem with. Now Smell This displays ads from a service called Chitika by including a Javascript in the page, and IE is complaining about something in that Chitika Javascript.

I saw the same message, and the format described by flackfolio above when I used the instructions to update my base template in your News article on the weekend.

I can only guess that you made a mistake somewhere. I can confirm that your blog works fine, your templates do not need updating, and that commenting is functional on your blog.

A comparison with the code there, and with my (now) default base template shows that {{blog.custom_head}} - (if this code is eaten by the forum software, what I'm referring to is blog.custom_head with double brackets) - is missing from your instructions.

The instructions were never meant to provide a complete description of what may or may not appear in your template, my apologies if you read it that way.

Without it, the page loads without images or color etc (that was my experience). Is that where the problem lies?

Your interpretation of what {{blog.custom_head}} does is not correct, and again I do not see any problem with your blog templates.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: