BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Help Needed Parsing Log File

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
des

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Help Needed Parsing Log File Reply with quote

I want to get an idea of the countries from which visitors are coming. I downloaded a couple of the web log files and realized I needed something to parse them and break out the stats I needed.

Some log file analyzer products appear to offer to do this but on downloading a few for testing I find that they seem to be configured so that I can only get them to analyze files from the site, not from an offsite file.

What am I missing?

Or is there a better way for me to get 'from' stats re country?
Author, 7 Step Business Blog
http://www.7stepbusinessblog.com
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help Needed Parsing Log File Reply with quote

Unfortunately at the present our web server logs are not compatible with third party log analysis software. We're working on that issue, but at this time I can not see any automated way for you to do a breakdown of visitors by country.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Needed Parsing Log File Reply with quote

john wrote:
Unfortunately at the present our web server logs are not compatible with third party log analysis software. We're working on that issue, but at this time I can not see any automated way for you to do a breakdown of visitors by country.

I guess I should amend that statement by saying that we expect that to revise the format of the logs so that you can use third party log analysis software to do things like analyze visitors IP addresses to extract country information etc.
zoli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des, why not use a 3rd party service? THere are many, this is free and quite comprehensive: http://performancing.com/metrics
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one I just came across which looks interesting: http://www.enquisite.com/
des

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoli & John
Thanks for the suggestions. I just realised I had actually installed performancing but I think I had some challenge figuring out how to use it. So I'll give it another go and also check out enquisite.com
Author, 7 Step Business Blog
http://www.7stepbusinessblog.com
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we will shortly be resolving the problem asked in the original post in this thread: the log file format will be generated in Apache style format so that the logs will be able to be read by third party log analysis tools.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: