BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to make components line up horizontally

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpfromjp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: How to make components line up horizontally Reply with quote

Morning,

If you look at my blog www.neighborsforneighbors.org/blog you will notice that the pay pal donation icons are at the bottom of the header. How would I make them line up with the Blog Name Component. On the header column the look lined up but don't behave that way.

Thanks

Joseph Porcelli
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: How to make components line up horizontally Reply with quote

If you want all your components to line up, you need to be sure to create your custom components using the same code as the builtin components, by wrapping your code in the shell shown in the Create a Custom Component howto.
porcellij

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, thanks for your response.

I don't understand what you mean: "you need to be sure to create your custom components using the same code as the builtin components"

What are the builtin components

and

what do you mean "wrapping your code in the shell shown"

Thanks
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the builtin components

Custom components are the components you created. By "builtin components" I am referring to the components that were part of your blog already, the ones you didn't make.

what do you mean "wrapping your code in the shell shown"

Be sure to read the Create a Custom Component page I referenced, there's some code at the Customizing the look of your Custom Component section. It should be pretty self explanatory. If not, please let us know here.
porcellij

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I know understand what your talking about thanks and I have read and update my components but still don't have what I am looking for. I realize I may need to be more specific. What I really really want:

Imagine there is 9 boxes that are stacked in 3 rows with four columns. Each box row always lines up as do the columns. I want the components to stack on top of each other evenly. Currently I have four components/boxes in my header. On the left side I have the Pay Pal Left, in the Middle there is the NFN Header on the top and NFN Banner on the bottom, and on the right is the Pay Pal Right. you can see them at www.neighborsforneighbors.org/blog

In the future I want to be able to add custom components on the bottom layer that line up horizontally along the bottom. It would like like (and excuse my simple diagram but):

x x x
x
x x x

Currently, even thought the Pay Pal components look they they should be aligned at the top they are doing this:

x
x
x x

When I want them to look like:

x x x
x

Does this make sense and it is possible. Thanks.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I see what you're saying now, sorry for not seeing it the first time around... Short answer is, there's no easy way to do what you are looking for. Our system is setup to handle most folks' needs in most cases, but what you're looking for is outside the scope of the default setup.

Your solution here would be to:
  1. create the HTML code for the design you want to use in the blog header using some HTML creation tool
  2. remove all the components from the header layout
  3. create a single component containing the HTML code you created in step 1 and place it in the Center Column of the Header
Let me know if that makes sense.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: