BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HTTP 500 Errors While Trying to Post Articles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abacquer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: HTTP 500 Errors While Trying to Post Articles Reply with quote

It's been a very bad year for me and my use of my blog has slowed considerably. Nowadays I'm lucky if I can post once or twice a month. But it never fails when I try to do so that I get an HTTP 500 error and often have to try the post multiple times before it works. And I have to preview it first, because when it inevitably fails to post, if I didn't use preview, then the article information is gone when I use the browser's back button to try to post again.

Why does this keep happening? It's incredibly annoying. I just spent 2 hours putting a long article together and have tried to post it about a dozen times. HTTP 500 every time.

So I am simply leaving the article editting window open and I'll try again later... I can't even save the article to publish later.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: HTTP 500 Errors While Trying to Post Articles Reply with quote

Do your articles have a lot of links in them? If so, the issue might be with something called "auto-discovery for remote trackback pings", which is an esoteric feature that scans your post for links, then checks each website to see if it's a blog, and sends a "trackback" to it, all before posting your article. So if you have a lot of links in your posts then this could cause errors when posting if the process that does all that remote stuff takes too long.

So I just went to your control panel at Settings & Security >> Publishing Defaults >> Post and unchecked this box:

Use auto-discovery for remote trackback pings

Your problems will likely be minimized going forward as long as you don't manually check Use auto-discovery for remote pings under Advanced Options on the Post Article page when creating your articles.

If you still see posting problems after that, please send us a support request.
abacquer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Problem Solved! Reply with quote

That seems to have solved the problem, thanks John. Smile
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: