BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Altering the Meta Title Tag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Altering the Meta Title Tag Reply with quote

I was wondering if you knew how I could alter the title tag that shows up at the top of the browser.

It currently shows the blog name, then the article name. Can I change the order in which it shows, so it shows article first, then blog name?

Also, is there a way that I can change the default "main page" to something else? I am pretty familiar with updating templates if there is a specific spot to do this. Thanks.
cr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

already figured it out Smile Thanks anywho.
British Chap

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spread the word...

I haven't figured it out....

Too lazy.

Thanks

David
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - What are you looking to do? The previous posted noted this:
Quote:
I was wondering if you knew how I could alter the title tag that shows up at the top of the browser. It currently shows the blog name, then the article name. Can I change the order in which it shows, so it shows article first, then blog name?

Here are some hints for going in that direction:

1. Login to your Blog Admin Control Panel through the Login page.

2. Click on the Look and Feel tab, then the Templates subtab.

3. Now you see a list of the Templates you can customize. We are going to customize the base template, which controls the overall structure of your blog pages, so click Edit in the row that begins with the word base.

4. Now you'll be on a page listing the current templates (there will probably be only one row listing Standard), click the Customize button.

5. You'll see a page giving you the option to Copy the Standard style to your staging area. Click Go.

6. Finally, you'll come to the page where you can customize the base template, which is the template controlling the main structure of your page. Sorry it took so long to get here, we need to work on making it easier to get to!

You'll see this code on the 4th line or so:
Code:
<title>{{blog.name}}{{if page.title}} :: {{page.title}}{{/if}}</title>

This is the code that controls the HTML title of the page, the title that appears at the top of the browser window. So it will show a title like this:

My Cool Blog Name :: My article title!

on an article page, or

My Cool Blog Name :: My category title!

on a category page.

If you like the look of carets, change the code to this:
Code:
<title>{{blog.name}}{{if page.title}} > {{page.title}}{{/if}}</title>

and you will have a page title as follows:

My Cool Blog Name > My category title!

Swap the order of the blog name and page title by doing this:
Code:
<title>{{if page.title}}{{page.title}} :: {{/if}}{{blog.name}}</title>

Hope this helps get you started.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John - Thanks for the swift reply - I'm looking for consistent search engine placement. I am already top everywhere but need to sustain my edge.

I'm actually making some $$ss out of this one. I'd love to introduce some ads or something too....

I do have several others blogharbor blogs Smile

Cheers

David
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just looking to add META tags to your blog, you don't actually need to do all of the above. You can do so by accessing the control panel at Settings & Security > Publishing Defaults > General. Look for the section labeled Additional <HEAD> Content, and enter the full META tag there.

As for adding ads to your weblog, the easiest way to do it would just be to create a custom component and add that component to your layout.

Quote:
I'm actually making some $$ss out of this one. I'd love to introduce some ads or something too....

Very nice.

Quote:
I do have several others blogharbor blogs Smile

Even nicer. Wink
cr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Dynamic Titles Reply with quote

Working with the templates has been easier than I thought, and quite the learning experience. I am new to blogging, but I had a background in HTML. I was wondering if you knew some websites that went into further detail about the programming language used on these blogs. Covering things like:

{{if xxx}} and {{else}} tags as well as breadcrumbs and stuff.

I have searched but I can only find javascript and php info, not relating to the same format of code that BlogHarbor uses. Any resources you know of?

By the way, it would be really great if the "Main Page" part of the title could be modified. That is the only part I haven't figured out how to be able to change, unless I don't use a category in the title at all.

Is there any possible way to rename the "Main Page" category?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic Titles Reply with quote

One of the very few things that can not be customized at this time is the name of the Main Page category...

The language used in the template is homegrown. As of this point in time, there are very few elements of the language. You can use if, else, and elsif statements to test if something is equal or not equal to something else.

The power of using this scripting language really comes in the use of the many variables which are available. The template manual here:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/6/4/83189.html

lists the variables which are available within each of the templates. Let us know if you make any neat customizations to your templates, we'd love to see what you are able to accomplish.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: